One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having self-respect.‘proud, self-respecting mountain villagers’dignified, noble, worthyView synonyms
- 1.1humorous attributive A person who merits a particular role or name.‘no self-respecting editor would run such an article’
- ‘What if homeschooling is a choice of which self-respecting women should be proud?’
- ‘I'd go to Lexington and make him confess to being something no self-respecting photographer should ever call himself: an artist.’
- ‘No self-respecting editor would ever ask that question.’
- ‘Any self-respecting Italian wears dark glasses, in winter, in summer, indoors and out, while eating or sleeping.’
- ‘Some pitiable excuses were pleaded, and in a great many instances it was said that lack of boots and clothing had compelled self-respecting parents to keep their offspring at home.’
- 1.1humorous attributive A person who merits a particular role or name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.