Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Provide details about (one's circumstances, typically one's medical or psychological condition)‘35% of participants self-reported a history of asthma’
- ‘The probable result of the insensitivity of TLC is an overestimation of the validity of self reported drug use.’
- ‘At pretest, we assessed health-related behavior with self-report questionnaires.’
- ‘In the present study, one-year abstinence was determined by collateral contacts in addition to self-report.’
- ‘Participants in Study 2 also completed a self-report measure of self-construal.’
- ‘This self-report scale was developed to reflect situational or "state" anxiety in children during hospitalization for elective surgery.’
- ‘Surveys of adolescent behavior often rely upon single-item, self-report measures.’
- ‘There was no content concerning research on the effects or effectiveness of drug testing or the accuracy of self-report surveys of drug use.’
- ‘The UK census in 2001 included two measures of self reported health.’
- ‘These data comprise self reported coding for ethnicity, for which local coverage is thorough.’
- ‘A self-report measure was used that consisted of 19 personal consequences of substance abuse.’
- ‘A greater limitation is the misclassification of self reported birth weight, weight, or height, which may have caused some bias towards the null.’
- ‘An important issue concerns the validity of self reported data.’
- ‘The Fresno test assesses performance of each component of evidence based practice, rather than relying on self report.’
- ‘Personality traits were measured using the 1 5 Factor Questionnaire Plus, a self-report personality assessment.’
- ‘They also attained higher scores for self reported behaviour change.’
- ‘In comparison to the accuracy of selfreport measures of most human behaviors, the accuracy of self-report responses of "sensitive" behaviors is more uncertain.’
- ‘This self report was corroborated by cotinine concentration in residual routine blood or saliva samples.’
- ‘We conclude that self report measures of intensity of drug use are not significantly related to rearrest.’
- ‘This self-report scale, used extensively in research on depression in adults, consists of 21 symptoms.’
- ‘A structured programme for asthma education led by peers can lead to an improvement in self reported quality of life in adolescents with asthma.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.