Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Reliance on one's own powers and resources rather than those of others.
self-sufficiency, self-support, self-sustenance, self-standing, independenceautarkyView synonyms
- ‘With full employment and self-reliance, the workers' bargaining power increases.’
- ‘Those whose greatest interest is in liberty and self-reliance are lost in the shuffle.’
- ‘Discipline is, of course, strict, with the aim of helping the young people to learn to live together, build self-reliance and work as members of a team.’
- ‘We need to shift power to local communities, through self-reliance and participation.’
- ‘They have given up their self-reliance and so, instead of solving community problems, they now wait for the politicians to do the job.’
- ‘Due to the way my family is, I developed a strong sense of self-reliance and independence along the way.’
- ‘State independence and individual self-reliance are touchstones of Texan society.’
- ‘Economic self-reliance and moral independence still support one another.’
- ‘Part of seeking the mystery of life, surely, is finding a place within the self, of absolute calm and self-reliance.’
- ‘Education was necessary to engender self-reliance and self-respect.’
- ‘These placed an emphasis on the role of charity in encouraging moral regeneration and on the virtues of self-reliance and respectability.’
- ‘Do we not realize that self-respect comes with self-reliance?’
- ‘There is nothing like self-improvement and self-reliance.’
- ‘Through self-reliance and self-discipline, the child is inspired to embark on a voyage of self-discovery.’
- ‘Often spouses aren't eager to relinquish their newly acquired skills of independence and self-reliance.’
- ‘As time proceeds she acquires a group of racially and ethnically mixed friends and acts with courage and self-reliance.’
- ‘Children are taught independence and self-reliance and to carefully observe the world around them.’
- ‘They have failed to distinguish between policies that perpetrate dependency and those that promote growth and self-reliance.’
- ‘He stresses the importance of self-reliance and self-realization when facing the audience.’
- ‘Economic self-reliance was seen as synonymous with independence itself.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.