One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Meditation or serious thought about one's character, actions, and motives.
- ‘Suddenly, the contrition and self-reflection of the last sixty years might sound like a bad bargain if they merely serve to continually remind the world about the past.’
- ‘The image is used particularly to refer to certain meditative techniques of self-reflection.’
- ‘This type of self-reflection is often difficult for academics, as it can be many years since they moved from a novice to expert understanding of their discipline area.’
- ‘His works express across an entire range of human emotions, from the special bond of love and friendship, to the importance of self-reflection and individual triumphs.’
- ‘Emotions influence our interpretations of events, giving a slant to our thinking, self-reflection and recollection.’
- ‘Another general problem is that teacher education students have few high-quality opportunities for guided practice in self-reflection.’
- ‘Funerals tend to bring on self-reflection, and in this case Stuart's relative youth raises tough questions about what they really want from the rest of their lives.’
- ‘Humans are the only capable beings (at least on this planet) that are able to alter their actions based on self-reflection and contemplation.’
- ‘What about the value of self-reflection or seeking self-awareness?’
- ‘It will come from self-reflection and self-criticism.’
- ‘This goes well beyond the normal pulling-and-dragging, because it shows a group incapable of any serious self-reflection.’
- ‘The highlight of the exhibition is a self-portrait of the artist, a challenging exercise in truthful self-reflection for Suzanne.’
- ‘What I dislike intensely in the man is his inability for self-reflection, especially in a man professing to be so religious.’
- ‘Such reviews will have to come from self-reflection within the service, from parliamentary oversight and from public and media discussion.’
- ‘Second, the Democratic party needs some serious self-reflection and reform.’
- ‘Through self-reflection (as in meditation) the very same ideas about relativity and quantum weirdness have been displayed.’
- ‘For all its earnest self-reflection about media violence, it doesn't seem terribly conscious of itself or the form it's ended up taking.’
- ‘The process of self-reflection and self-representation involved was often motivated by a desire to improve the self.’
- ‘The Internet can tell you why Christmas is special to so many people, but it is only in self-reflection that you have a true opportunity to answer those questions for yourself’
- ‘The former complained about anti-business sentiments, but the latter called for self-reflection of corporate owners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.