One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Meditation or serious thought about one's character, actions, and motives.
- ‘The process of self-reflection and self-representation involved was often motivated by a desire to improve the self.’
- ‘Funerals tend to bring on self-reflection, and in this case Stuart's relative youth raises tough questions about what they really want from the rest of their lives.’
- ‘This type of self-reflection is often difficult for academics, as it can be many years since they moved from a novice to expert understanding of their discipline area.’
- ‘The Internet can tell you why Christmas is special to so many people, but it is only in self-reflection that you have a true opportunity to answer those questions for yourself’
- ‘The former complained about anti-business sentiments, but the latter called for self-reflection of corporate owners.’
- ‘It will come from self-reflection and self-criticism.’
- ‘Humans are the only capable beings (at least on this planet) that are able to alter their actions based on self-reflection and contemplation.’
- ‘The highlight of the exhibition is a self-portrait of the artist, a challenging exercise in truthful self-reflection for Suzanne.’
- ‘Second, the Democratic party needs some serious self-reflection and reform.’
- ‘What I dislike intensely in the man is his inability for self-reflection, especially in a man professing to be so religious.’
- ‘Emotions influence our interpretations of events, giving a slant to our thinking, self-reflection and recollection.’
- ‘Through self-reflection (as in meditation) the very same ideas about relativity and quantum weirdness have been displayed.’
- ‘His works express across an entire range of human emotions, from the special bond of love and friendship, to the importance of self-reflection and individual triumphs.’
- ‘Such reviews will have to come from self-reflection within the service, from parliamentary oversight and from public and media discussion.’
- ‘Suddenly, the contrition and self-reflection of the last sixty years might sound like a bad bargain if they merely serve to continually remind the world about the past.’
- ‘This goes well beyond the normal pulling-and-dragging, because it shows a group incapable of any serious self-reflection.’
- ‘The image is used particularly to refer to certain meditative techniques of self-reflection.’
- ‘Another general problem is that teacher education students have few high-quality opportunities for guided practice in self-reflection.’
- ‘What about the value of self-reflection or seeking self-awareness?’
- ‘For all its earnest self-reflection about media violence, it doesn't seem terribly conscious of itself or the form it's ended up taking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.