One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Young people recognised that sticking together in groups could, in spite of their self-protective intentions, appear threatening to some adults.’
- ‘Although even earlier thinkers such as Hume, Gibbon, and Voltaire (to name the most notable) had attacked Christianity and superstition, they usually did so under the cover of self-protective irony.’
- ‘How could they participate in an effort that could defend their values, advocate more opening, more understanding, a better and wider vision of the world, and counteract the ongoing self-protective and reactionary state of minds?’
- ‘Distasteful as this may now seem, it is important to recognise such attitudes as fundamental to the self-protective mechanism developed by generations of Catholics in response to traditional ‘put-downs’.’
- ‘He was also a self-protective bachelor who fell in love and got married in his 40s, but that comes in the next volume of letters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.