One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of a plant) able to propagate itself.
- ‘Essentially, in this self-propagating cycle, people work for advertisers to buy the products that are being advertised.’
- ‘Still, some of the most interesting, fundamental, and controversial questions about European integration concern how durable, expansive, and self-propagating the EU's policy process really is.’
- ‘An improved reactive foil is preferably a freestanding multilayered foil structure made up of alternating layers selected from materials that will react with one another in an exothermic and self-propagating reaction.’
- ‘There, the molecules began the complex series of reactions that eventually lead to self-propagating chemical sequences that eventually became replicating life forms.’
- ‘Worms, which are self-propagating viruses, can also carry spyware.’
- ‘They chose ornamental plants that were self-propagating, along with annuals that were generally self-seeding.’
- ‘In more specific terms, a meme is a self-propagating unit of cultural evolution, analogous to the gene (the unit of genetics).’
- ‘Exploits have evolved from the passive, slow-propagating file and macro viruses of the early 90s to more active, self-propagating email worms and hybrid threats that can take only a few days or hours to spread.’
- ‘The self-propagating, rapidly spreading worms targeted Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems, causing debilitating network surges and crashing some machines.’
- ‘A worm is a self-propagating agent that goes from computer to computer without user intervention.’
- ‘We have witnessed the negative impact and nuisance of automated, self-propagating computer intrusions that promote widespread compromise and seriously complicate remediation efforts.’
- ‘A self-propagating thing, the ego is that bundle of nervous energy which strives to maintain the thoughts which it needs to identify itself.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.