One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The protection of oneself from harm or death, especially regarded as a basic instinct in human beings and animals.
- ‘What impels you to put aside the instinct for self-preservation and risk your lives to take these cliffs?’
- ‘There's a sense of shame and self-preservation that you develop that lasts a long time.’
- ‘Forest companies are naturally inclined to look after the state of their forests as a natural instinct to self-preservation.’
- ‘I wasn't ready to chuck everything that I believed back in his face because of my sense of self-preservation.’
- ‘I doubt whether the Scots, going it alone, would have developed the same ruthless instinct for self-preservation.’
- ‘While people in the same occupation often protect their own, self-preservation is a strong instinct in everyone.’
- ‘In its best sense it expresses an animal instinct of self-preservation.’
- ‘His instinct for self-preservation is too high, and it makes him afraid to endanger himself, even for a good cause.’
- ‘Ending a corporation's right to exist if it is destructive to human beings sounds like self-preservation to me.’
- ‘All normal human emotions atrophy except one, the instinct for self-preservation and, allied to it, the itch to tyrannise.’
- ‘Even in the age of reality TV you might expect a greater sense of self-preservation.’
- ‘Her instinct for self-preservation, however illogical it might be, remained strong.’
- ‘There are two activities common to human beings and animals - self-preservation and perpetuation of the species.’
- ‘Chaos theory conveniently dovetails with this instinct of military self-preservation.’
- ‘At what point do we let our sense of self-preservation take over?’
- ‘Their fatalism is tempered only by the drivers' acknowledgement that the need for speed is stronger than the instinct for self-preservation.’
- ‘The ship is sinking and nobody with a sense of self-preservation wants to stick around this mess anyway.’
- ‘Did I think that self-preservation, as a basic drive, would take precedence over everything else?’
- ‘It has deprived them of their instinct for political self-preservation.’
- ‘The best protection will be his own sense of self-preservation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.