Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A portrait of an artist produced or created by that artist.
painting, picture, drawing, sketch, likeness, image, study, representation, portrayal, depiction, canvasView synonyms
- ‘It also serves as a symbolic self-portrait of the artist within these systems.’
- ‘So notable was this presentation of self that a number of artists painted self-portraits in which they attempted to make themselves look like Rubens.’
- ‘Does the same signifying phenomenon convey more when an artist visualizes a self-portrait?’
- ‘However, it is in the portraits and, above all, the self-portraits that the real explanation for his enduring popularity is to be found.’
- ‘The sketches included a self-portrait drawn by the artist in 1937.’
- ‘The painting was, after all, undertaken as a gift to send to Arles in exchange for a self-portrait by van Gogh.’
- ‘Throughout history, artists have created portraits and self-portraits.’
- ‘There are also a couple of portraits and self-portraits, as well as busts sculpted of bronze.’
- ‘Does all this prove that Rembrandt made self-portraits in order to understand himself better?’
- ‘Kim's oil paintings are detailed self-portraits, which, she said, tend to show a lot of skin.’
- ‘I consequently started painting my logo, a stylized self-portrait based on the shape of my own skull.’
- ‘Over the years, charted by his self-portraits, Rembrandt evokes varying aspects of character and the process of ageing itself.’
- ‘In a self-portrait we see the artist's chief creation, him or herself.’
- ‘Five watercolours, including self-portraits and a portrait of his wife, Helen, will also be added to the exhibition.’
- ‘This figure is usually interpreted as a self-portrait of van Eyck in the act of creating the very image before our eyes.’
- ‘As one of about eighty self-portraits Rembrandt produced over his lifetime, this painting may have been adapted by a student after failing to sell.’
- ‘McGurran is best known for her paintings of women, including a number of surrealist self-portraits.’
- ‘It is a self-portrait, with the artist depicted with closed eyes, and he initially appears asleep.’
- ‘Meanwhile, amazing though it may seem, there is room for more study of Rembrandt's self-portraits.’
- ‘Smaller white spots mar a self-portrait by van Gogh and are comically misaligned with his facial features.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.