One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having an arrogantly high regard for oneself or one's own opinions.‘a pompous, self-opinionated bully’
self-important, conceited, arrogant, self-assertive, full of oneself, puffed up, swollen-headed, pompous, overbearing, opinionated, cocky, swaggering, strutting, presumptuous, forward, imperious, domineering, pontificating, sententious, grandiose, affected, stiff, vain, haughty, overweening, proud, egotistic, egotisticalView synonyms
- ‘I'm committed, single-minded and self-opinionated.’
- ‘One now has to ask the question, is this columnist just a self-opinionated, uninformed, naive person?’
- ‘She is staunchly working class, curiously snobbish about the oddest things and dramatically self-opinionated.’
- ‘It's bad enough having to put up with all the self-opinionated, right-wing, boringly predictable columnists in the Murdoch press.’
- ‘The man is ambitious, arrogant, self-opinionated, and has a blinkered vision that he alone is right, and that everyone else is wrong.’
- ‘He was a self-opinionated man with a bellicose personality.’
- ‘Six out of every ten surveyed said they were glad he was back but felt he was self-opinionated.’
- ‘Those who are tend to be ill-informed, self-opinionated, close-minded and negative in outlook.’
- ‘There was a Union Deputy Minister who was rather self-opinionated and was also a bully.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.