Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The act of self-stabbing implies an unsurpassable hopelessness coupled with ferocity; it is the quintessential self-murder.’
- ‘By inference, suicide was an extreme case of this, and the language barely distinguishes between self-murder and murder of kindred.’
- ‘Religion and other ideological apparati do help facilitate self-murder and the murder of others, but as a motivational cause they seem to be inadequate on their own.’
- ‘Even if people think that the Iraq war has made Britain a bigger target, they are still confronted with a fascistic cult of murder and self-murder which allows no compromise.’
- ‘I would also confront many stereotypes about suicide, a word that means self-murder, an act that some religious faiths once equated with eternal banishment from heaven.’
- ‘Instead, circumlocutions such as "self-murder," " self-killing, "and" self-slaughter " take its place.’
- ‘It was not just an act of sin, it was an act of murder, of self-murder, according to early Christianity.’
- ‘Suicidal Terror's only possible victory lies in the pointless self-murder of its last happy martyr.’
- ‘During the high Middle Ages, civil legislation against self-murder was enacted in the majority of Western European states.’
- ‘In fact, the word ' suicide ' replaced ' self-murder ' only in the eighteenth century.’
- ‘But I also know that reporters and newspapers must take great care when covering stories about self-murder.’
- ‘If I had paid this visit, as I might have done, a week sooner, loving Lucie would have confided in me, and I would have prevented that self-murder.’
- ‘I support self-ownership, and hence oppose coerced euthanasia or delegated self-murder.’
- ‘Suicide, or self-murder, is never the only option and certainly never the right option for anyone, anywhere at any time.’
- ‘This is a form of what is called felos-de-se (a senseless or purposeful act of self-murder).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.