Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Locking itself shut or in a fixed position.‘self-locking screws’
- ‘The seating section can be rolled underneath the backrest and between the armrests, while the sofa's feet have a self-locking, sliding mechanism that allows the depth of the seating to be varied according to individual preference.’
- ‘Other safety features include self-locking stabilizers and captive latches on the tower support.’
- ‘Choose a gate with a self-locking catch and check that it will fit your stairway.’
- ‘Doors that open directly into a dwelling unit must have a self-closer and latch but no self-locking hardware.’
- ‘They're not only self-locking but also re-usable during service without damage to the nut or stud.’
- ‘All skins, but not products, must have a self-locking, tamper-resistant tag attached.’
- ‘Although I have tried the various designs of self-locking floats on the market I have not found one that I am happy with, but such a system would be an ideal alternative method.’
- ‘As for locking caribiners, you have a choice of self-locking or screw-lock.’
- ‘That means you'll want self-locking gates on your fence, as well as alarms on back door sliders, and even the pool's surface.’
- ‘So far we have managed to hold things more or less together, with the promise of our own proprietary self-locking tie and application tool, available later this year.’
- ‘A heavy-duty, self-locking brass hook replaces the present open-ended hook that secures the top pivot point of the scabbard.’
- ‘There is a viscous coupling in the front axle, a self-locking differential in the rear and the whole thing alters torque seamlessly from front to rear as required.’
- ‘Cows were maintained in open dry-lot pens with self-locking head stanchions along a flat concrete feed line.’
- ‘Keep your cameras packed in self-locking plastic bags that contain a large supply of desiccant (silica gel packets are available at most camera shops).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.