Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of a gun) loading automatically.‘a self-loading pistol’
- ‘The final figures for the county reveal that four self-loading handguns, seven revolvers and three shot pistols were given up.’
- ‘Both were carrying Glock 9mm self-loading pistols.’
- ‘There were also two dummy rocket propelled grenades and a dismantled self-loading rifle.’
- ‘He said the gun, a semi-automatic self-loading pistol, had never been recovered.’
- ‘The launcher, which is mounted on a stretched Bradley chassis, is a highly automated self-loading and self-aiming system.’
- ‘The Marines sneered at the idea of a self-loading rifle, saying it would be too unreliable for combat.’
- ‘I suddenly felt like a self-loading cargo, probably even ballast.’
- ‘These included self-loading pistols and sub-machine guns, which had the potential to be lethal weapons.’
- ‘He also denies possessing a 9mm self-loading pistol and 220 bulleted cartridges with intent to endanger life on December 31.’
- ‘The challenge has been to find a more or less off-the-shelf, self-loading shotgun that would meet stringent standards for effectiveness, reliability and maintainability at a reasonable price.’
- ‘He completed 29 voluntary training days, learning how to fire, strip and assemble self-loading rifles and machine guns.’
- ‘Their heavier recoil sometimes is a challenge for the self-loading mechanism.’
- ‘The introduction of metal-jacketed cartridges containing a percussive, explosive charge and a bullet in a single unit enabled Gatling to invent a self-loading primitive machine gun.’
- ‘All three admitted charges of conspiracy to rob and possessing a self-loading pistol with intent to rob.’
- ‘Police believe that two offenders, wearing dark clothing and riding a motorcycle or scooter, fired six shots at Gabriel from a 9mm self-loading pistol.’
- ‘The pistols were entering the country at the rate of 65,000 units per year and were being snapped up by Americans eager to buy a quality, self-loading handgun for well under $200.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.