One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting something which limits itself.
- ‘Are you in fact a self-limiting company consigning yourself to being eternally small because of the high environmental standards you expect?’
- ‘Press baron demagoguery, however unfair, reflected the biases and passions of specific men, and was thus self-limiting.’
- ‘That guarantees that the story is eventually self-limiting.’
- ‘Imagine an environment where you receive acceptance without judgement and break from self-limiting behaviour.’
- ‘The process is self-limiting and the increasing levels of alcohol kill off the yeast.’
- ‘For the rest of us, self-limiting commoners, join me in the self-conversion process.’
- ‘The reason that the minimum wage is problematic is that it is also self-limiting, only because companies can't pay employees less than the minimum wage, what generally gets limited is the number of jobs.’
- ‘Instead of being self-limiting, the old-style colloquial schoolboy language used gives an intensity of expression in a simple and precise way.’
- 1.1Medicine (of a condition) ultimately resolving itself without treatment.
- ‘A spokesperson said the virus seemed to be self-limiting and the student suspected of having meningitis underwent the full range of laboratory tests for the illness.’
- ‘Uncomplicated cases of cholera are self-limiting in nature and the patient recovers within three to six days.’
- ‘No one explained to them the scientific and practical gains that might come from knowing more about the self-limiting and self-correcting nature of syphilis so as to be able to evaluate the power of early therapeutic interventions.’
- ‘Neuroleptic malignant syndrome is a self-limiting condition once the offending agent has been discontinued.’
- ‘In most patients it is self-limiting and a definite cause cannot be found.’
2(in psychology) preventing the development or expression of the self.
- ‘When this happens, the subliminal beliefs that formerly were self-limiting begin to change.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.