Insurance of oneself or one's interests by maintaining a fund to cover possible losses rather than by purchasing an insurance policy.
- ‘Two weeks before we opened, we were looking at self-insurance.’
- ‘Adaptation is an investment in private self-insurance to reduce the severity of realized damages.’
- ‘Choosing a fee-based adviser is a form of self-insurance if you like.’
- ‘The self-insurance is an opportunity to take control of it ourselves and keep the money.’
- ‘Here in Australia, a lot of businesses tend to see credit insurance as a choice of self-insurance, and a cost.’
- ‘That said, self-insurance can result in dramatic savings.’
- ‘For larger manufacturing firms, on the other hand, so-called self-insurance is common.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.