One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The action of flogging oneself, especially as a form of religious discipline.
- ‘Asceticism and self-flagellation mortified the flesh.’
- ‘During Holy Week they engaged in self-flagellation and conducted mock crucifixions.’
- ‘Members carry out self-flagellation for their sins.’
- ‘Some Opus Dei practices, like self-flagellation, had been imported from monastic practice.’
- 1.1 Excessive criticism of oneself.
- ‘While such realizations have left me listless and leaning towards self-flagellation for the past couple of years, I have managed this week to revive my spirit.’
- ‘That kind of thing sends head teachers into a state of massive self-flagellation, though, so you have to pitch it right.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.