One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of an organization or enterprise) having or generating enough income to finance itself.
- ‘We can conclude that it is in everyone's interest for the vast majority of our kids to stay in school and mature into self-financing adults who can look after themselves.’
- ‘Mr Oakes is determined that the water-based projects be self-financing.’
- ‘A BBC profile noted that his self-financing campaign left him with few political debts.’
- ‘They could be self-financing private or public utilities or they could be subsidized by other tax sources.’
- ‘With their current average attendance, he can't sustain indefinitely the money going out of the club - his own money - because the club is not self-financing.’
- ‘The scheme would be self-financing in the sense that the sum of funds to be taken from the contributing States is exactly equal to the sum of funds to be given to the recipient States.’
- ‘If a company is going to spend money on such an outing, it must be self-financing - resulting in greater sales, productivity or custom.’
- ‘This marginal or extra rent makes the civic works self-financing.’
- ‘The company has been self-financing since its foundation and counts Hewlett-Packard, Riverdeep and Sun Microsystems among its clients.’
- ‘Were it essentially a self-financing economy, the constraints faced by the US today would be negligible.’
- ‘He saved $550,000 by turning an elementary school into a self-financing preschool and day-care center.’
- ‘World trade was completely self-financing, and producers as well as consumers prospered.’
- ‘They raise revenues, possibly enough to be self-financing.’
- ‘The second topic to discuss is whether or not we expect the transition to freedom to be self-financing.’
- ‘In addition, proposals made should be able to generate sufficient income to enable it to become self-financing in time.’
- ‘Efforts will also be made to secure financial backing although the centre will ultimately become self-financing.’
- ‘Ever since then, they have been saying it was a self-financing productivity deal.’
- ‘That, in terms of revenue, makes him a self-financing player (provided he stays healthy of course).’
- ‘With the hike in fees structure of self-financing colleges, the students belonging to lower economic strata will be denied their fundamental right of education.’
- ‘Historically, US corporations had been largely self-financing, paying for their investments largely out of retained profits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.