(of a plant) capable of self-fertilization.
- ‘For example, it has a small diploid genome, self-fertile flowers, and a short generation time.’
- ‘However, preliminary studies with manually pollinated plants suggest that Mormorlyca ringens is not self-fertile.’
- ‘There was variability among self-fertile plants in their propensity to mature selfed fruits, but, on the whole, selfed fruit-set was very low compared to outcrossed fruit-set.’
- ‘Despite the fact that only a small number of selfed fruits were produced on self-fertile plants in our study, variation in self-fertility was evident.’
- ‘Olive trees are wind-pollinated and to some extent self-fertile, but previous research has suggested that more efficient fertilization is achieved by cross-pollination.’