One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The expression of one's feelings, thoughts, or ideas, especially in writing, art, music, or dance.
- ‘Her work is so much more about self-expression in an unmediated way than the artists you're bringing up.’
- ‘Although this was essentially ceramic art, it assumed the form of pure art since it was a means of self-expression.’
- ‘How can you raise your level of self-expression?’
- ‘Art is our mouth, the poetry of languages and self-expression.’
- ‘Art was not simply for enjoyment or self-expression but a means of passing on ideas and values that had complex social significance.’
- ‘In the music studio, teachers work to develop self-expression through musical performance.’
- ‘This artistic endeavor is about choice, autonomy, self-expression, trust, and sharing.’
- ‘Learning to express opinions more assertively is a form of self-expression.’
- ‘I have always liked to do art because it is not only a form of self-expression, but it helps me relax and think.’
- ‘The film explores his personal journey for self-expression and artistic fulfilment.’
- ‘Writing as self-expression acquires a very literal meaning, for it is only through creative activity that identity is constructed.’
- ‘It is a money-making machine that has little to do with culture, art or self-expression.’
- ‘They offer none of the skills traditionally conferred by dance, such as grace, self-expression and improved confidence in ourselves.’
- ‘The teacher without students would have no means of self-expression or mirror for his actions and ideas.’
- ‘It also provides a vehicle for a child's self-expression and is a way for children and adults to communicate nonverbally.’
- ‘It is quite often stressed that consumption is an important form of self-expression and a major way of demonstrating one's identity.’
- ‘A child in the 1960s encountered philosophies of immense freedom and self-expression.’
- ‘The ruling class wants to repress artistic freedom of self-expression, as a part of the broader attack on the democratic rights of the people.’
- ‘They did so by encouraging self-expression and imaginative play as well as the frank expression of emotions.’
- ‘Any form of line dancing that encourages freewheeling self-expression must be forcefully discouraged.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.