Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Easily understood; not needing explanation.‘the film's title is fairly self-explanatory’
easily understood, readily comprehensible, intelligible, straightforward, unambiguous, unproblematic, accessible, clearly expressed, user-friendly, simple, self-evident, obvious, clear, crystal clearView synonyms
- ‘His work, which he never showed to anyone, was far from self-explanatory.’
- ‘Far from being self-explanatory, it can only be understood by reference to material outside itself.’
- ‘Whenever I go back to Iowa, I remember how self-explanatory the landscape looks.’
- ‘The author has used simple language and self-explanatory illustrations throughout the text.’
- ‘For repression the most obvious and self-explanatory mechanism is steric hindrance.’
- ‘Hands on hips is a rather self-explanatory gesture.’
- ‘With that in mind, the last two downloads should be self-explanatory.’
- ‘The title is self-explanatory, the idea being that each track is based around a sample from a year between 1964 and 1995.’
- ‘I tried to make it as straightforward and self-explanatory as I could but be sure to point out anything I missed or should add.’
- ‘More than that they take a subject which, on first blush, seems self-explanatory and reveal a host of questions about it.’
- ‘Most of the data fields are self-explanatory; however, explanation is required on a few.’
- ‘Firstly, the main task of metaphysics is to offer ultimate explanations of facts which are not self-explanatory either when taken in themselves or even when related to each other.’
- ‘Whereas some of these categories are self-explanatory, several others may require further explanation.’
- ‘Their meaning, in whole or part, is self-explanatory.’
- ‘The Python code is quite straightforward and self-explanatory.’
- ‘This is a pretty straight-forward and self-explanatory clause, but it's important none the less.’
- ‘Stanley takes the statement at face value as self-explanatory.’
- ‘The Dutch duo return with a rather self-explanatory title.’
- ‘I think the embarrassment factor is pretty self-explanatory there.’
- ‘The pleasant-looking posters on the 18 career zones are self-explanatory.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.