One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of working for oneself as a freelance or the owner of a business rather than for an employer.‘income from self-employment’‘years of self-employment as a math tutor’
- ‘The advent of capitalism involved a transition from self-employment to selling one's labour.’
- ‘For decades, workers have been abandoning the security of corporate settlements to rough it on the perilous—but thrilling—plains of self-employment.’
- ‘During 1991–92, self-employment was at an all-time high of 7.7 per cent.’
- ‘In the face of these family attitudes, the authors recommend government programs encouraging women to engage in self-employment.’
- ‘Women are far more likely than men to move from unemployment to self-employment.’
- ‘Those who don't work for us in the winter find alternate employment fairly easily in small factories, on dairy farms, or in creative self-employment.’
- ‘I am fairly new to the world of self-employment.’
- ‘The daily calendar message is intended to fire you up for a hard day's self-employment.’
- ‘Self-employment by wives does not have a statistically significant impact on the home production of either spouse.’
- ‘This book consists of 11 essays documenting the phenomena of self-employment among various nations of the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.