Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The migration of constituent atoms or molecules within the bulk of a substance, especially in a crystalline solid.
- ‘In particular, and contrary to the common assumption that monovalent ions do not or only slightly affect lipid dynamic behavior, the lateral lipid self-diffusion decreases significantly with increasing ion concentration.’
- ‘We present a method to study water-swollen biological porous structures using NMR to determine the amount and self-diffusion of water within the porous objects.’
- ‘Also, they introduced an effective diffusion coefficient to describe self-diffusion for long-range migration between pores.’
- ‘Changes in membrane electrostatics, lateral heterogeneities, and binding of solutes influence the lipid self-diffusion.’
- ‘Supported lipid monolayers were analyzed in terms of the lateral self-diffusion of lipid molecules as a function of relative humidity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.