Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The process by which a person's character or abilities are gradually developed.‘graduates have stressed the value of their courses for self-development’
- ‘Self-esteem depends very much on self-satisfaction in regards to achievements and self-development.’
- ‘Self-cognition is the initial stage of self-development in the process of officers' military professional training.’
- ‘Public service is no longer a career in the way it was, but where departments are intelligently led, there are opportunities for training, experience and self-development.’
- ‘This can be done by combining the pursuit of sporting excellence with the provision of time for family, friends, other interests and self-development.’
- ‘Neither the physical well being resulting from the diet, nor the knowledge of oriental philosophy really dealt with the matter of self-development or self-realization.’
- ‘The final pillar of the Army's leader development system is self-development.’
- ‘Second, self-development and action learning were generally being used as an excuse for lack of real support for training and development.’
- ‘These development centres have helped to support a culture of self-development and have played a key role in retaining people with potential.’
- ‘Solo time is a prerequisite of self-development and growth, not a sign of weakness or personal defect.’
- ‘All development is self-development and it is up to you to add to your personal know-how.’
- ‘Through the process of fulfilling this mission, Billy undergoes tremendous self-development as he matures into a young man.’
- ‘In the best scenario, the project leads not only to satisfying work lives, but to full self-development and self-cultivation.’
- ‘Leaders are now developed around three pillars - experience, schooling, and self-development.’
- ‘Weak self-regulators do not achieve much progress in self-development.’
- ‘Our responsibility is how we develop people, what we do about their self-development and development.’
- ‘Personal leadership is personal change and self-development is the outcome.’
- ‘The cognitive processing of needs also results in the individualization of motivation which is related to the ability of self-development and of self-regulation.’
- ‘The Army and the leader can use self-development to reinforce skill development.’
- ‘It is the teacher's own example of being on a path of constant growth and self-development that communicates most strongly to the growing child.’
- ‘The self-development by the women in one socio-economic context encouraged them to form spearhead groups to mobilise women in different socio-cultural scenarios.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.