Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The process by which a country determines its own statehood and forms its own allegiances and government.‘the changes cannot be made until the country's right to self-determination is recognized’
autonomy, independence, self-government, self-rule, home rule, self-legislation, self-determination, non-alignment, freedomView synonyms
- ‘The demand for the right to self-determination, or even independence, must not only be made for negative reasons.’
- ‘Many people with whom he spoke in the provinces had expressed a desire for self-determination and perhaps autonomy.’
- ‘What they recognize is the struggle of our people for self-determination.’
- ‘Aboriginal sovereignty and self-determination are key ideas for you.’
- ‘They would do better to remind their friends that there can be no democracy without genuine sovereignty and self-determination.’
- ‘Broadly speaking, they see their struggle as part of the still unfulfilled quest for self-determination and for genuine sovereignty.’
- ‘In the process, there will be little scope for the exercise of freedom, civil rights and self-determination.’
- ‘Autonomy and self-determination are still little more than ideals that can inspire.’
- ‘What meaning can democracy have if it is unaccompanied by self-determination and sovereignty?’
- ‘For international politics, popular sovereignty implied both national sovereignty and self-determination.’
- ‘Many people from across the spectrum sacrificed for the goal of self-determination and the independence of Namibia.’
- ‘The right of national self-determination implied by full recognition will be hard for them to accept.’
- 1.1The process by which a person controls their own life.
- ‘Autonomy is about self-determination, being free from external influences and governed by one's own mind.’
- ‘The concepts inherent in this right are the bedrock upon which the principles of self-determination and individual autonomy are based.’
- ‘To me, the exciting element that unites all these stories is autonomy and self-determination.’
- ‘We support the development of the human potential and individual self-determination.’
- ‘It is in the exercise of self-determination that we maintain some control over, and take responsibility for, our lives and for what we will become.’
- ‘They are playful, bold and value their freedom and sense of self-determination.’
- ‘According to the right of self-determination, it is their own decision.’
- ‘Have you not been confusing Christian freedom with careless and reckless self-determination?’
- ‘We have evolved a fantasy of self-determination that seems to have put fate out of business.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.