One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability to control one's emotions; self-control.
- ‘Invincible when events ran their way, they could not summon the self-command to rally when the sky began to rain.’
- ‘With respect to decision and action, the strategy of objective tolerance is appropriate in areas where I do not aspire to the highest degree of self-command.’
- ‘These psychological terms seem to be neutral descriptors of inner states or behavioral capacities, but the self-command that they connote is tied directly to concepts of character strength.’
- ‘In my opinion self-command for Smith is much more complex than simple self-control.’
- ‘He sought pleasure, self-command, fame, knowledge, and even wisdom.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.