Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The spontaneous formation of a ribosome, virus, or other body in a medium containing the appropriate components.
2British The construction of an object, especially a piece of furniture, from materials sold in kit form.[as modifier] ‘self-assembly furniture’
do-it-yourself, diy, self-buildflat-pack, in kit form, kit, do-it-yourself, diy, self-buildView synonyms
- ‘The weekend was a positive blur of flat-pack furniture purchasing, followed by hours of puzzling self-assembly at home, concluding with the dilemma about what to do with all that cardboard packaging.’
- ‘The bad news is that these stands are self-assembly with several hundred tiny screws and washers.’
- ‘We measure up for laminate flooring and self-assembly bookcases.’
- ‘The self-assembly chairs, tables and sofas fit together without screws or glue.’
- ‘This might persuade my husband and daughters to use the rack - that, incidentally, I made with my own fair hands (the first self-assembly kit I've mastered).’
- ‘To the relief of many, the flatpack self-assembly aesthetic will be replaced by high margin, ready-assembled furniture.’
- ‘With portable flat-pack, self-assembly furniture and increase in built-in storage space, the wheel has almost turned full circle.’
- ‘A DIY chain store today moved to ease safety fears over self-assembly fireplaces being sold at its stores.’
- ‘I was on the verge of buying some nice shelves, but when I saw that they were self-assembly, I got a disturbing flashback to my months in flat-pack hell.’
- ‘Knowing my luck, it will probably be self-assembly when DIY is the very thing one is trying to avoid.’
- ‘The self-assembly furniture retailer said it was unable to deliver orders on time due to supply chain problems.’
- ‘They are ghastly chrome and stripped pine affairs with all the atmosphere of a self-assembly wardrobe.’
- ‘The main advantage of Microsoft products is that, like IKEA self-assembly furniture, they are character-building.’
- ‘The substitution of tryptophan residues, therefore, does not affect actin self-assembly into filaments.’
- ‘When it comes to piecing together a performance, they can, at their worst, resemble a befuddled man confronted by self-assembly furniture.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.