One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The spontaneous formation of a ribosome, virus, or other body in a medium containing the appropriate components.
2British The construction of an object, especially a piece of furniture, from materials sold in kit form.as modifier ‘self-assembly furniture’
do-it-yourself, diy, self-buildflat-pack, in kit form, kit, do-it-yourself, diy, self-buildView synonyms
- ‘When it comes to piecing together a performance, they can, at their worst, resemble a befuddled man confronted by self-assembly furniture.’
- ‘The substitution of tryptophan residues, therefore, does not affect actin self-assembly into filaments.’
- ‘The main advantage of Microsoft products is that, like IKEA self-assembly furniture, they are character-building.’
- ‘The self-assembly chairs, tables and sofas fit together without screws or glue.’
- ‘I was on the verge of buying some nice shelves, but when I saw that they were self-assembly, I got a disturbing flashback to my months in flat-pack hell.’
- ‘Knowing my luck, it will probably be self-assembly when DIY is the very thing one is trying to avoid.’
- ‘A DIY chain store today moved to ease safety fears over self-assembly fireplaces being sold at its stores.’
- ‘To the relief of many, the flatpack self-assembly aesthetic will be replaced by high margin, ready-assembled furniture.’
- ‘The bad news is that these stands are self-assembly with several hundred tiny screws and washers.’
- ‘The self-assembly furniture retailer said it was unable to deliver orders on time due to supply chain problems.’
- ‘This might persuade my husband and daughters to use the rack - that, incidentally, I made with my own fair hands (the first self-assembly kit I've mastered).’
- ‘We measure up for laminate flooring and self-assembly bookcases.’
- ‘They are ghastly chrome and stripped pine affairs with all the atmosphere of a self-assembly wardrobe.’
- ‘With portable flat-pack, self-assembly furniture and increase in built-in storage space, the wheel has almost turned full circle.’
- ‘The weekend was a positive blur of flat-pack furniture purchasing, followed by hours of puzzling self-assembly at home, concluding with the dilemma about what to do with all that cardboard packaging.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.