One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of machinery) adjusting itself to meet varying requirements.
- ‘The company's ThinkTop system can be used for all sanitary valves and features a wide range of interface modules, external signals, maintenance indication, and is self-adjusting.’
- ‘On the other hand, flexible exchange rates offer a self-adjusting mechanism to correct a balance of payments problem and boost a country s flagging competitiveness.’
- ‘The self-adjusting vest will position the protective plates about five centimeters from the torso, to reduce chest injuries or bruising in the event that the wearer is hit.’
- ‘You can throw any notion of a self-adjusting and correcting system out the window.’
- ‘In addition, framers would have to adjust for the thickness of the boards they were using while today's models are self-adjusting.’
- ‘Using a self-adjusting and self-induced hold, it secures textiles of different thicknesses, weights and lengths.’
- ‘The FX Series is an automatic self-cleaning, reversible, self-adjusting (in-motion variable-pitch), hydraulically activated fan system for heavy equipment.’
- ‘The critical message of Keynes was that modern economies are not self-adjusting.’
- ‘The Tru-Trak suspension system has automobile-style struts and self-adjusting rack-and-pinion steering.’
- ‘The gas system is self-adjusting, utterly simple, reliable and easy to clean and maintain.’
- ‘You can imagine why a dynamic, self-adjusting system cannot be governed by a static, unbending policy.’
- ‘Its levels are homeostatically maintained inside the living cell, where the self-adjusting mechanisms for maintaining GSH are numerous.’
- ‘In such a model, given some flexibility of prices and money wages, the self-adjusting mechanism would return the economy to full employment after a demand shock that was not too large.’
- ‘To eat, an animal must place its neck near the collaring mechanism, which releases a flexible, self-adjusting collar similar to flea collars worn by cats and dogs.’
- ‘Quality magnetic catches feature a floating or self-adjusting action to ensure proper alignment and contact.’
- ‘Economic profits and prudent lending were, in conjunction, self-adjusting mechanisms, not repealing the business cycle but at least suppressing boom and bust dynamics.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.