Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of machinery) adjusting itself to meet varying requirements.
- ‘On the other hand, flexible exchange rates offer a self-adjusting mechanism to correct a balance of payments problem and boost a country s flagging competitiveness.’
- ‘Its levels are homeostatically maintained inside the living cell, where the self-adjusting mechanisms for maintaining GSH are numerous.’
- ‘Economic profits and prudent lending were, in conjunction, self-adjusting mechanisms, not repealing the business cycle but at least suppressing boom and bust dynamics.’
- ‘To eat, an animal must place its neck near the collaring mechanism, which releases a flexible, self-adjusting collar similar to flea collars worn by cats and dogs.’
- ‘You can imagine why a dynamic, self-adjusting system cannot be governed by a static, unbending policy.’
- ‘The self-adjusting vest will position the protective plates about five centimeters from the torso, to reduce chest injuries or bruising in the event that the wearer is hit.’
- ‘In addition, framers would have to adjust for the thickness of the boards they were using while today's models are self-adjusting.’
- ‘The critical message of Keynes was that modern economies are not self-adjusting.’
- ‘The Tru-Trak suspension system has automobile-style struts and self-adjusting rack-and-pinion steering.’
- ‘Using a self-adjusting and self-induced hold, it secures textiles of different thicknesses, weights and lengths.’
- ‘Quality magnetic catches feature a floating or self-adjusting action to ensure proper alignment and contact.’
- ‘The gas system is self-adjusting, utterly simple, reliable and easy to clean and maintain.’
- ‘You can throw any notion of a self-adjusting and correcting system out the window.’
- ‘In such a model, given some flexibility of prices and money wages, the self-adjusting mechanism would return the economy to full employment after a demand shock that was not too large.’
- ‘The FX Series is an automatic self-cleaning, reversible, self-adjusting (in-motion variable-pitch), hydraulically activated fan system for heavy equipment.’
- ‘The company's ThinkTop system can be used for all sanitary valves and features a wide range of interface modules, external signals, maintenance indication, and is self-adjusting.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.