One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Coated with a sticky substance; adhering without requiring moistening.
- ‘Use self-adhesive postage stamps, instead of the ones you have to lick.’
- ‘Alternatively, if your sofa's legs have a square base, you could use self-adhesive felt pads, attached to the base of each leg.’
- ‘Those rough and tumble, layer-upon-layer, torn advertising labels made of self-adhesive paper have become a headache for local people to eliminate.’
- ‘For even bigger savings, there are also some amazing offers, such as a five pack of self-adhesive floor tiles, currently on offer at six for the price of five.’
- ‘If we'd relied on self-adhesive labels in the past we'd be experiencing very difficult times now.’
- ‘Students revealed they were in talks with Lakeland Limited, which is interested in selling the self-adhesive product.’
- ‘These labels can suffer from the disadvantage that they can be difficult for a user to open when the self-adhesive label is adhered to a product.’
- ‘‘Lettering and designs could be cut out instantly in self-adhesive vinyl,’ she said.’
- ‘Should you be modelling self-adhesive moustaches in magazine ads, if such a product existed?’
- ‘Because most self-adhesive stabilizers are tear-away, they'll give good results on designs with light stitch counts, but often don't hold up on denser or longer running designs.’
- ‘Her skin wore a yellow tint because of the self-adhesive disposable sterilised drape.’
- ‘I was unsure as to what sort of self-adhesive paper was required.’
- ‘These are breathable, flexible self-adhesive polyurethane pads that help flatten raised scars and give the scars a more natural appearance in terms of color and texture.’
- ‘Doubtless they assumed that everyone would be using self-adhesive labels, not writing on the envelope the way I do (either to save stationery costs or because I can't find my labels).’
- ‘The patient may remove incisional dressings, leaving self-adhesive wound approximating strips in place until they fall off, and bathe or shower the day after surgery.’
- ‘The surgeon and assistant close the incisions with absorbable, interrupted, subcutaneous sutures and self-adhesive wound approximating strips.’
- ‘To make this dotty garland, stick two round self-adhesive labels back-to-back, sandwiching thin string between them.’
- ‘Another option for trim is a self-adhesive vinyl wall base, available in 21/2 X 48 and 4 X 48 sections.’
- ‘However, it might be a good idea to dust off that old fax machine and remind yourself that you don't have to lick stamps these days (they have a self-adhesive coating on the back) - just in case.’
- ‘While paint dries, cut a 5-inch square of self-adhesive laminate, then draw a 4-inch-diameter circle in its center.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.