Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Coated with a sticky substance; adhering without requiring moistening.
- ‘‘Lettering and designs could be cut out instantly in self-adhesive vinyl,’ she said.’
- ‘If we'd relied on self-adhesive labels in the past we'd be experiencing very difficult times now.’
- ‘The surgeon and assistant close the incisions with absorbable, interrupted, subcutaneous sutures and self-adhesive wound approximating strips.’
- ‘Her skin wore a yellow tint because of the self-adhesive disposable sterilised drape.’
- ‘I was unsure as to what sort of self-adhesive paper was required.’
- ‘Use self-adhesive postage stamps, instead of the ones you have to lick.’
- ‘Should you be modelling self-adhesive moustaches in magazine ads, if such a product existed?’
- ‘Students revealed they were in talks with Lakeland Limited, which is interested in selling the self-adhesive product.’
- ‘While paint dries, cut a 5-inch square of self-adhesive laminate, then draw a 4-inch-diameter circle in its center.’
- ‘These are breathable, flexible self-adhesive polyurethane pads that help flatten raised scars and give the scars a more natural appearance in terms of color and texture.’
- ‘To make this dotty garland, stick two round self-adhesive labels back-to-back, sandwiching thin string between them.’
- ‘However, it might be a good idea to dust off that old fax machine and remind yourself that you don't have to lick stamps these days (they have a self-adhesive coating on the back) - just in case.’
- ‘For even bigger savings, there are also some amazing offers, such as a five pack of self-adhesive floor tiles, currently on offer at six for the price of five.’
- ‘Another option for trim is a self-adhesive vinyl wall base, available in 21/2 X 48 and 4 X 48 sections.’
- ‘The patient may remove incisional dressings, leaving self-adhesive wound approximating strips in place until they fall off, and bathe or shower the day after surgery.’
- ‘These labels can suffer from the disadvantage that they can be difficult for a user to open when the self-adhesive label is adhered to a product.’
- ‘Those rough and tumble, layer-upon-layer, torn advertising labels made of self-adhesive paper have become a headache for local people to eliminate.’
- ‘Doubtless they assumed that everyone would be using self-adhesive labels, not writing on the envelope the way I do (either to save stationery costs or because I can't find my labels).’
- ‘Alternatively, if your sofa's legs have a square base, you could use self-adhesive felt pads, attached to the base of each leg.’
- ‘Because most self-adhesive stabilizers are tear-away, they'll give good results on designs with light stitch counts, but often don't hold up on denser or longer running designs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.