Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Operating or occurring automatically.‘a self-activating spoiler which pops up at 60 mph’‘the process is self-activating’
mechanized, mechanical, automated, push-button, preprogrammed, computerized, electronic, robotic, unmannedView synonyms
- ‘It features unique self-activating automatic brakes that ensure better control.’
- ‘He left in 1817 after a pay dispute and in the same year installed gas at the Royal Mint, with Frederick Accum, incorporating a self-activating wet meter of his own design.’
- ‘Two of the lifebuoys should be provided with self-activating smoke signals.’
- ‘One of the three genes turned out to be self-activating and was removed from the positive list.’
- ‘The self-activating enzyme technology in starts removing odors after moisture comes into contact with the carpet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.