Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Belittling or degrading oneself.‘a timid, defensive, self-abasing response’
- ‘Proust was almost uniquely self-abasing, seeming to believe that the nature of friendship demanded that he turn into the most compliant and self-denying of figures.’
- ‘In the films the message is women want a ring at all self-abasing costs.’
- ‘The American neocons only ever had contempt for this self-abasing style of diplomacy.’
- ‘The distrustful, the self-abasing, the mendicant flatterers, and above all the liars: it is a fundamental belief of all aristocrats that the common people are untruthful.’
- ‘Posner has resigned himself to loving Dinah in the self-abasing tradition of courtly love, the object forever unattainable.’
- ‘It got no publicity in the media, being drowned out by self-abasing gibberish.’
- ‘The self-abasing masochist anthem "Nothing" is spoilt by the unnecessary elongation of a vocal chant coda.’
- ‘The rich man knew that his son was ignorant and self-abasing.’
- ‘He is also capable of equally disturbing acts of pure, self-abasing masochism.’
- ‘Vegans and vegetarians may be so sensitive to the stereotype of annoying militant radical that we remain a little shy, or a little self-abasing, about our diet and lifestyle ethics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.