One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small rorqual with dark steely-gray skin and white grooves on the belly.
- ‘Likewise, the lungs of large whales including fin whales and sei whales and pilot whales show evidence of progressive alveolar collapse in response to increased hydrostatic pressure.’
- ‘Along with minke whales, Japan currently hunts sei whales, sperm whales and Bryde's whales as part of a limited scientific research hunting it is allowed to cull without being in violation of the commercial hunting moratorium.’
- ‘Stone said she was dismayed by news suggesting the Japanese government not only wants to increase its take of minke whales, but that Japan now intends to expand its operations to hunt the endangered sei whale in the North Pacific.’
- ‘Japanese whaling ships left their home ports in eastern and southern Japan yesterday for a three-month hunt in the north-west Pacific where they will kill endangered sei whales for the first time in 26 years.’
- ‘Its government has notified the International Whaling Commission that it will kill 50 minke whales and 50 endangered sei whales on top of the 100 minkes it already has been hunting annually.’
- ‘The plan is to hunt a total of 100 minke whales, 100 fin whales and 50 sei whales over the next two years.’
- ‘Fairly secretive visitors among the larger rorquals are the fin whale and its slightly smaller cousin, the sei whale.’
Early 20th century: from Norwegian sejhval.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.