The protective outer coat of a seed.
- ‘In this example the dorsal side of the seed coat is slightly wrinkled.’
- ‘Endosperm refers to the rest of the seed, i.e. the seed coat, pericarp, aleurone layer, and starchy endosperm.’
- ‘Tobacco seed consist of a seed coat, endosperm, and embryo.’
- ‘At maturity, the seed coat is primarily a protective structure, although its specific role may be varied and complex.’
- ‘Wheat grains consist of the seed coat, or testa, which surrounds the endosperm and embryo.’