One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Understand or realize something after prolonged thought or doubt.
understand, realizeunderstand, comprehend, realize, find out, see daylight, work out what's going on, get the pointView synonyms
- ‘For Montgomerie, it was suddenly seeing the light after being trapped in what seemed like an never ending tunnel on Thursday.’
- ‘As the natives get down to the business of getting even, the viciousness reverberates off the screen and suddenly we see the light.’
- ‘Every new recipe was different from the previous one, my head was starting to spin, when suddenly I saw the light.’
- ‘No doubt, this growing political isolation helped the IRA see the light…’
- ‘You have made us see the light and we recognise that we're a bunch of bully boys who think we can get away with anything.’
- ‘In Joe's case, something shocking and life threatening has to happen before he suddenly sees the light.’
- ‘Would it suddenly see the light and stop its bullying?’
- ‘I wish I could say that the experience helped me see the light and realize that I had misjudged the film.’
- ‘Prominent organizations have began to see the light more, and realize what kind of production prospects can give them.’
- ‘Why, only when their side has been beaten, do they suddenly see the light?’
- 1.1 Undergo religious conversion.
- ‘Paul is in the same world after seeing the light on the road to Damascus as he was before, but everything looks different.’
- ‘It took a roots-up, religious-type conversion - I'd walked in darkness, then I saw the light.’
- ‘I once heard a Christian missionary claim that only ignorance of true trinitarian theology would prevent non-Christians from seeing the light and becoming baptized.’
- ‘Saul's traveling companions didn't see the light because the call was not for them.’
- ‘We were sure that Roman Catholics would one day see the light and embrace the Protestant reforms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.