One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Jewish ritual service and ceremonial dinner for the first night or first two nights of Passover.
- ‘Most Jews in some way participate in a Passover Seder and observe Yom Kippur.’
- ‘My attendance at the Seder unexpectedly brought these recollections and reflections to mind.’
- ‘Many sing this list, but its purpose goes beyond a simple song to open the Seder before the serious rituals begin.’
- ‘Having that kind of discussion is exactly the point of the Passover Seder.’
- ‘It is at this point that the Seder becomes a ceremony that we merely perform.’
- ‘I had never seen it here, but an essential ingredient of the Passover Seder is four cups of wine or at least grape juice.’
- ‘The last words of the Passover Haggadah, the liturgy used for the Seder, are a good example.’
- ‘Whichever style of plate graces your Seder, it is a self-contained story of the celebration.’
- ‘Last night we had our Passover Seder, which was so much fun.’
- ‘You'd think that with all the candles and wine that a Seder would be a pretty romantic meal.’
- ‘The evening meal, called a Seder, is designed to appeal to people of all ages so that the story might be passed down through the ages.’
- ‘About twenty years ago, a Jewish friend of mine invited me to attend a Seder at the home of her friends on the south side of Syracuse.’
- ‘Throughout the world, Messianic congregations hold elaborate and well-publicized Passover Seders.’
- ‘Thus matzos play a special role in the ceremonial, symbol-laden Passover meal, or Seder.’
- ‘Passover is coming and this is a wonderful opportunity to think about a Jew who may be alone, in need of an invitation to join your Seder.’
- ‘We still began the Passover Seder and ended Yom Kippur by references to exile, but our heart wasn't into it.’
- ‘Perhaps the oldest example of the model of continuous retransformation is the Passover Seder.’
From Hebrew sēḏer ‘order, procedure’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.