One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A verification of the identity and trustworthiness of someone such as a government employee, in order to maintain security.
- ‘A basic security check later, we found ourselves inside the DMZ.’
- ‘Tim Verheyden said he was able to bring a package resembling a bomb through the security check for airport employees.’
- ‘The security check for entering the visa section was strict.’
- ‘Security at the court was tight with hand-held metal detectors, and a second security check inside the building.’
- ‘Newly released video show some of the hijackers going through a security check at Dulles Airport outside Washington.’
- 1.1 A search of an area or of a person and their baggage for concealed weapons or bombs.
- ‘They should be coming round on a regular basis and doing a security check to look at if anything could be done.’
- ‘I directly got on board the plane after the security check.’
- ‘Today, going through an airport security check can be as entertaining as watching, or even acting in, an episode of Seinfeld.’
- ‘We are satisfied with the results of the security check and will not be closing again unless there is a specific threat.’
- ‘They've agreed to hire an international expert to conduct a new security check of Australia's international air gateways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.