One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A verification of the identity and trustworthiness of someone such as a government employee, in order to maintain security.
- ‘Tim Verheyden said he was able to bring a package resembling a bomb through the security check for airport employees.’
- ‘Security at the court was tight with hand-held metal detectors, and a second security check inside the building.’
- ‘Newly released video show some of the hijackers going through a security check at Dulles Airport outside Washington.’
- ‘The security check for entering the visa section was strict.’
- ‘A basic security check later, we found ourselves inside the DMZ.’
- 1.1 A search of an area or of a person and their baggage for concealed weapons or bombs.
- ‘I directly got on board the plane after the security check.’
- ‘They've agreed to hire an international expert to conduct a new security check of Australia's international air gateways.’
- ‘They should be coming round on a regular basis and doing a security check to look at if anything could be done.’
- ‘We are satisfied with the results of the security check and will not be closing again unless there is a specific threat.’
- ‘Today, going through an airport security check can be as entertaining as watching, or even acting in, an episode of Seinfeld.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.