Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Humanism, with regard in particular to the belief that humanity is capable of morality and self-fulfillment without belief in God.
- ‘Member Samantha Munn describes the core values at the heart of secular humanism as ‘respect, tolerance and logic.’’
- ‘After their devastating critique of secular humanism comes the cavalry - the absolutes of historic, biblical Christianity.’
- ‘It never occurred to those early exiles that they should rant about the ubiquity of secular humanism.’
- ‘This return of religion threatens secular humanism, the orthodoxy that has prevailed since the French Revolution.’
- ‘It also sees ‘Christian’ teachers and lecturers happy to teach a curriculum soaked in secular humanism.’
- ‘But the increasing secular humanism in our culture seemed to be moving at a gallop pace.’
- ‘Do you mean expressions of liberal secular humanism?’
- ‘Her quest for the big answer leads her to accept Confucianism and nonreligious Buddhism as well as secular humanism.’
- ‘To abdicate my will to anyone, even or especially God, is the ultimate heresy in the religion of secular humanism.’
- ‘The Christian Right are critical of secular humanism and liberal tolerance in religious matters.’
- ‘Second, secular humanism promotes the belief that, while religion is to be respected, we are fast growing out of it.’
- ‘Let us refuse secular religion and State because secular humanism is the tool of the devil in the world.’
- ‘Not doing so only submits to the agenda driven propaganda of secular humanism, which effectively is a religion in itself.’
- ‘They are struggles over two world views: biblical Christianity vs. secular humanism.’
- ‘It was an attack on, and misrepresentation of, secular humanism.’
- ‘The parents accused the Holt series of teaching secular humanism and violating their religious beliefs.’
- ‘He is posing the ultimate challenge to secular humanism.’
- ‘It was a religious speech from a religion known as secular humanism, which she follows.’
- ‘They are actually advancing the non-theistic religion of secular humanism.’
- ‘I denounce secular humanism and all other left-wing materialist ideologies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.