[treated as plural] A police force working in secret against a government's political opponents.
- ‘In places it was only Russian troops who protected the secret police from workers' anger.’
- ‘On arrival all four were arrested by the Gambian secret police.’
- ‘Ganev's career initially received a boost from his role as an official in the Stalinist secret police.’
- ‘There was no settling of accounts with the hated and feared secret police, the Securitate.’
- ‘However, the new police lack any effective power against the Sandinista secret police or army.’
- ‘It is not only lower levels of the Brandenburg secret police which have connections to the extreme right wing.’