One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as plural A police force working in secret against a government's political opponents.
- ‘There was no settling of accounts with the hated and feared secret police, the Securitate.’
- ‘However, the new police lack any effective power against the Sandinista secret police or army.’
- ‘In places it was only Russian troops who protected the secret police from workers' anger.’
- ‘On arrival all four were arrested by the Gambian secret police.’
- ‘Ganev's career initially received a boost from his role as an official in the Stalinist secret police.’
- ‘It is not only lower levels of the Brandenburg secret police which have connections to the extreme right wing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.