Any physical characteristic developing at puberty which distinguishes between the sexes but is not directly involved in reproduction.
- ‘I wonder if there's a similar study of whether young boys are developing secondary sexual characteristics at comparable ages?’
- ‘We weighed all captured individuals, measured carapace length, and determined the gender of each individual based on secondary sexual characteristics.’
- ‘Because females with Turner syndrome don't have proper ovarian development, they usually don't develop all of the secondary sexual characteristics expected during adolescence and are infertile as adults.’
- ‘During puberty the sexual organs mature, the secondary sexual characteristics (such as breasts and body hair) develop and reproduction becomes possible.’
- ‘Therefore, secondary sexual characteristics not only provide a means of differentiating gender, but the degree to which they are developed is a good indicator of reproductive condition.’
- ‘Male secondary sexual characteristics develop normally in puberty, although the testicles typically are small.’