One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thought process connecting the preconscious and conscious, governed by the reality principle and reflecting the decision-making and problem-solving activity of the ego.
- ‘A procreative analogy in all this was recognised by Marion Milner, who said that our primary and secondary processes need each other ‘like man and woman need each other.’’
- ‘On the other hand, if the immigrant or refugee has ‘depressive guilt,’ ‘time is formed in accordance with the laws of the secondary process (conscious).’’
- ‘Freud made a sharp distinction between two varieties of mental functioning which he called primary process and secondary process.’
- ‘The oceanic feeling associated with primary process and pleasure principle experience must ultimately give way to the reality of Time bounded experience and the secondary process.’
- ‘Because the girl's sexual desires were activated by her affective needs, sexuality itself became a secondary process, compensatory and vitally less important.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.