Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thought process connecting the preconscious and conscious, governed by the reality principle and reflecting the decision-making and problem-solving activity of the ego.
- ‘On the other hand, if the immigrant or refugee has ‘depressive guilt,’ ‘time is formed in accordance with the laws of the secondary process (conscious).’’
- ‘The oceanic feeling associated with primary process and pleasure principle experience must ultimately give way to the reality of Time bounded experience and the secondary process.’
- ‘Freud made a sharp distinction between two varieties of mental functioning which he called primary process and secondary process.’
- ‘A procreative analogy in all this was recognised by Marion Milner, who said that our primary and secondary processes need each other ‘like man and woman need each other.’’
- ‘Because the girl's sexual desires were activated by her affective needs, sexuality itself became a secondary process, compensatory and vitally less important.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.