Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The supposed ability to perceive future or distant events; clairvoyance.
fortune telling, divining, foretelling the future, forecasting the future, prophecy, prediction, soothsaying, auguryView synonyms
- ‘Unless possessed of second sight one cannot tell of the future until it happens.’
- ‘Saúl's sister Gilma had been gifted with second sight after a terrible car accident.’
- ‘My second sight scanned the area for a way to escape.’
- ‘A psychic has set up a school to teach people the art of second sight.’
- ‘Thomas Cayce, Edgar's grandfather, definitely had what was known then as ‘the gift of the second sight,’ although exactly what this meant is unclear.’
- ‘She desperately willed her second sight to go away.’
- ‘Belief in the gift of second sight persists among some Highlanders.’
- ‘But David finds an ally in Daryl, a New Age bookstore owner gifted with second sight.’
- ‘In pagan times poets were thought to be gifted with second sight, able in a trance or frenzy to foretell future events.’
- ‘The others cackled like witches around a crystal ball, but it was Tai who had the second sight here.’
- ‘What's more, is that somehow the man had evoked this strange second sight, this way of seeing peoples thoughts.’
- ‘You couldn't have predicted that without the gift of second sight.’
- ‘For his mate, Faye, was a Seer, blessed with second sight, a legacy of her Romany forebears.’
- ‘I loose my eyesight, then somehow gain a second sight ability.’
- ‘Beyond this she was believed to be able to interpret dreams, had second sight and was able when the circumstances demanded to bestow a curse.’
- ‘She could sense that the box was at its destination, so she released her second sight, and felt her vision come back again.’
- ‘Apparently Merewen claimed he had second sight, where he could have premonitions, and see into Other's pasts.’
- ‘Throughout human history, madmen have long been considered to be holy, because they alone possessed the gift of second sight.’
- ‘I often wondered if she has some sort of second sight.’
- ‘It emerges that Wolf Larsen has remarkable powers of vision - second sight, it seems.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.