Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A second presentation of a bill to a legislative assembly, in the US to debate committee reports and in the UK to approve the bill's general principles.
- ‘The most important of these are the second reading, the Committee stage, and the report stage.’
- ‘If this does not occur, the next step is for the Parliament to have its second reading of the budget.’
- ‘If the bill is controversial, the second reading debate is likely to occupy a full parliamentary sitting.’
- ‘I have much pleasure in participating in this debate on the second reading of this bill.’
- ‘The Government Bill which proposes this legislation will have its second reading in Parliament in January.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.