Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A commissioned officer of the lowest rank in the US Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps ranking above chief warrant officer and below first lieutenant.
- ‘Early in his military career, Ritchey served as a second lieutenant in the artillery branch with units at Fort Bliss, Texas.’
- ‘He rose from second lieutenant in 1861 to brevet major general in only four years during action-packed combat service.’
- ‘Upon graduation from college, she received a direct commission as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve.’
- ‘I learned to ask these questions as a second lieutenant in the Army Reserve.’
- ‘Drew was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in April 1986.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.