A commissioned officer of the lowest rank in the US Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps ranking above chief warrant officer and below first lieutenant.
- ‘Early in his military career, Ritchey served as a second lieutenant in the artillery branch with units at Fort Bliss, Texas.’
- ‘He rose from second lieutenant in 1861 to brevet major general in only four years during action-packed combat service.’
- ‘Upon graduation from college, she received a direct commission as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Reserve.’
- ‘I learned to ask these questions as a second lieutenant in the Army Reserve.’
- ‘Drew was commissioned a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in April 1986.’