One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The floor directly above the ground floor.
- ‘It was easy to get photos because Arden has a second floor with great views of the first floor.’
- ‘The bedroom and our water storage tank and pressurizing system are on the second floor.’
- ‘On the second floor, laying directly over the front of the restaurant was his home.’
- ‘They pounded their way up through the stair well to the second floor of the building.’
- ‘My room is on the second floor level of our house, and I have a window facing the garden.’
- ‘She walked up stairs from the basement to the second floor and walked to her locker.’
- 1.1British The floor two levels above the ground floor.
- ‘People from this hotel have been moved up from the first floor and the ground floor to the second floor to get them away from any flooding risk.’
- ‘A man dressed in a white suit looked down from the balcony of the second floor to the dance floor.’
- ‘On my first inspection of the property, on 22nd July 1998, I was provided with fire drawings of the ground, first and second floors.’
- ‘Mr. John Taylor saw evidence of active dry rot beneath the floorboards at second floor level.’
- ‘The blaze rose up through the ground, first and second floors, before finally being extinguished by firefighters at around 7am.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.