One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See second string
- ‘The team that did show up, comprised mostly of second-stringers and unripened teen-agers, lost to Hapoel by two goals.’
- ‘Harrington started 2002 as a backup in a season when second-stringers really stood out.’
- ‘None of the second-stringers who came on made much of an impact.’
- ‘We played the whole year with second-stringers, and we only had eight players.’
- ‘Almost every game, at least one or two of the five second-stringers plays well enough to carry the unit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.