An oily secretion of the sebaceous glands.
- ‘The hormones can cause the glands to make too much sebum.’
- ‘Testosterone causes excessive sebum to be secreted from the skin's sebaceous glands.’
- ‘The oily sebum rises up through the hair follicle, providing lubrication for your skin and hair.’
- ‘The glands remain immature until puberty, and it is the secretion of sebum that is associated with pubertal acne.’
- ‘Excessive sebum production secondary to sebaceous gland hyperplasia is the first abnormality to occur.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin sebum grease.