One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to oil or fat.
fatty, greasy, oily, oleaginous, unctuousView synonyms
- ‘They are made up predominantly of ectodermal components (hair, calcifications, sebaceous material) and have a large cystic component.’
- ‘Their sebaceous differentiation is confirmed by epithelial membrane antigen expression.’
- ‘It is not true that we squeezed sebaceous material from the sinus.’
- ‘The mass was excised and was characterized histologically as another proliferative cystic sebaceous tumor.’
- ‘The 16-carbon acids are predominant in sebaceous cells.’
- 1.1 Relating to a sebaceous gland or its secretion.
- ‘Cutaneous glands include the sebaceous, sweat, lacrimal, and mammary glands.’
- ‘Sebaceous glands develop at puberty in response to androgen stimulation and are attached to the follicle canal by sebaceous ducts.’
- ‘Retention of the sebaceous secretions, and dilation of the follicle, may lead to cyst formation.’
- ‘Sebaceous hyperplasia is common in middle-aged and elderly persons.’
- ‘Doxycycline is a tetracycline derivative that exhibits excellent penetration into follicles and sebaceous glands.’
Early 18th century: from Latin sebaceus (from sebum ‘tallow’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.