One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a vessel) in a good enough condition to sail on the sea.
- ‘Team 3 is responsible for the engineering compartments and ensures the vessel is actually seaworthy.’
- ‘The boat might seem to be a seaworthy vessel, but in fact be full of holes - this fact need not be presented in the experience.’
- ‘You are quite right to infer that something more seaworthy than the Dover boat carried goods by sea in the bronze age.’
- ‘He claims the council is treating him shabbily, and all he needs is a stay of execution until he can have the sailing boat seaworthy.’
- ‘Not all of these submarines are presently seaworthy.’
- ‘We anticipated a rusty scow; he commissioned a very handsomely appointed, eminently seaworthy vessel.’
- ‘So the boat was seaworthy at this time, no question of that whatsoever.’
- ‘We could be imprisoned or forced back to sea in an even less seaworthy vessel.’
- ‘Assuredly Chinese ships were seaworthy enough to sail across the Pacific and back.’
- ‘In spite of our physical trauma, our morale is good - we are alive on a seaworthy sailboat, for us to use!’
- ‘He insisted: ‘Upon leaving Mongstad, the ship was seaworthy and safe.’’
- ‘The GUARDIAN got into difficulties, and much pumping had to be made to keep the ship seaworthy.’
- ‘In all the circumstances I find that the ship was seaworthy at the material time.’
- ‘As any Master of a seaworthy vessel would do, he quickly steams towards the sinking boat.’
- ‘In the right hands it is probably the most adaptable and seaworthy vessel afloat.’
- ‘Lots of us have undertaken the task of restoring an older vessel to a seaworthy condition.’
- ‘Going down with a sinking ship seems so pointless when other more seaworthy vessels are within arm's reach.’
- ‘His coastguard - one seaworthy ship - sailed to Poti.’
- ‘Having proven herself as a fast and seaworthy vessel, Fame was able to outsail and capture vessels many times her size.’
- ‘The project team had to produce a seaworthy ship.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.