Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Salt, herbs, or spices added to food to enhance the flavor.
flavouring, salt and pepper, herbs, spices, condiments, dressing, relishView synonyms
- ‘Add the sherry and chopped dill to the remaining sauce and check the seasoning.’
- ‘In a separate bowl, cover cassava with Cajun seasoning, salt and olive oil.’
- ‘Put half the flour in a large bowl and season with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper.’
- ‘Add a seasoning of nutmeg, the orange juice and salt and pepper.’
- ‘Add the tamarind juice to the seasonings with salt.’
- ‘Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and either lemon juice or wine vinegar.’
- ‘She applied spices and herbs and added some other liquid seasonings.’
- ‘In Britain, food regulations currently allow only herbs, spices and vegetable seasonings to be irradiated.’
- ‘I'm not a fan of hiding flavors with heavy sauces or using too many herbs or seasonings.’
- ‘Try different sauces, marinades, seasonings and other ingredients.’
- ‘To this end he also makes sausages flavoured with fancy herbs and seasonings.’
- ‘It contained many seasonings, low salt food items, and lists the store where they can be found.’
- ‘Add seasonings like garlic and ginger first, followed by meat, then vegetables.’
- ‘Cayenne, a spicy seasoning used in subtropical cuisines, represents Spanish and Afro-Caribbean influences.’
- ‘Check the seasoning again and then transfer the sauce to a flat oven dish.’
- ‘To maintain the original taste of the meat, chefs don't add any seasonings.’
- ‘Adjust the seasoning with salt or sugar, if needed.’
- ‘Despite the Italian seasoning, however, this remains a typically Scandinavian dish.’
- ‘Another way to increase appetite is to add flavor to wholesome foods using spices, sauces and seasonings.’
- ‘Another approach to lamb cookery is to use strongly flavoured seasonings.’
2The process of adjusting the moisture content of wood to make it more suitable for use as timber.
- ‘The technology involves the seasoning of wood with chemicals.’
- ‘Many quality-conscious wine-makers will pay a premium for wood dried in the open air, however, and an increasing number of them actually select and buy their own wood in advance of seasoning.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.