One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Salt, herbs, or spices added to food to enhance the flavor.
flavouring, salt and pepper, herbs, spices, condiments, dressing, relishView synonyms
- ‘Add seasonings like garlic and ginger first, followed by meat, then vegetables.’
- ‘Cayenne, a spicy seasoning used in subtropical cuisines, represents Spanish and Afro-Caribbean influences.’
- ‘Try different sauces, marinades, seasonings and other ingredients.’
- ‘Add the sherry and chopped dill to the remaining sauce and check the seasoning.’
- ‘She applied spices and herbs and added some other liquid seasonings.’
- ‘Despite the Italian seasoning, however, this remains a typically Scandinavian dish.’
- ‘Another way to increase appetite is to add flavor to wholesome foods using spices, sauces and seasonings.’
- ‘In a separate bowl, cover cassava with Cajun seasoning, salt and olive oil.’
- ‘To this end he also makes sausages flavoured with fancy herbs and seasonings.’
- ‘Put half the flour in a large bowl and season with Creole seasoning, salt and pepper.’
- ‘It contained many seasonings, low salt food items, and lists the store where they can be found.’
- ‘To maintain the original taste of the meat, chefs don't add any seasonings.’
- ‘In Britain, food regulations currently allow only herbs, spices and vegetable seasonings to be irradiated.’
- ‘Another approach to lamb cookery is to use strongly flavoured seasonings.’
- ‘Adjust the seasoning with salt or sugar, if needed.’
- ‘Add a seasoning of nutmeg, the orange juice and salt and pepper.’
- ‘I'm not a fan of hiding flavors with heavy sauces or using too many herbs or seasonings.’
- ‘Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and either lemon juice or wine vinegar.’
- ‘Check the seasoning again and then transfer the sauce to a flat oven dish.’
- ‘Add the tamarind juice to the seasonings with salt.’
2The process of adjusting the moisture content of wood to make it more suitable for use as timber.
- ‘Many quality-conscious wine-makers will pay a premium for wood dried in the open air, however, and an increasing number of them actually select and buy their own wood in advance of seasoning.’
- ‘The technology involves the seasoning of wood with chemicals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.