A powerful outdoor electric light with a concentrated beam that can be turned in the required direction.
- ‘Eighty-eight powerful searchlights are used, each with a 7,000-watt bulb.’
- ‘During WWII searchlights were beamed continuously across Sydney Harbour as a deterrent to the Japanese.’
- ‘The contact boat was only two miles from Grafton, and a chase ensued, with the suspected smugglers being illuminated by powerful searchlights.’
- ‘Then without warning large searchlights lit up all around the base of the tower and pointed up.’
- ‘They also move about unrestrained by razor wire, searchlights, locks or electric fences.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.