A program that searches for and identifies items in a database that correspond to keywords or characters specified by the user, used especially for finding particular sites on the World Wide Web.
- ‘Google was not the first search engine on the Internet, but it has been the most successful one by far.’
- ‘If you type the Latin plant name into a good search engine on the internet, you may find additional tips.’
- ‘Yahoo is offering a beta version of its personal search engine, branded My Web.’
- ‘This money was used to develop a complicated search engine and other computer equipment.’
- ‘Again it looks as if many internet users are more than happy to use the search engine that their service provider provides.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.