Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A small marine fish with segmented bony armor, an upright posture, a curled prehensile tail, a tubular snout, and a head and neck suggestive of a horse.
- ‘Andersson says similar evolutionary pressures help to explain the sexual antics of the pipefish, a close relative of the sea horse.’
- ‘The good news is that the partnership collaborations for sea horse and marine conservation have grown enormously.’
- ‘Like the sea horse, these sculptures have an almost timorous charm; one took care not to breathe too hard near them for fear of snapping their lengthy stems.’
- ‘Live costumed characters from the Aquarium will stroll around the fairgrounds, including a whale, a shark, and a sea horse.’
- ‘Two of the spoons illustrated have applied seashells, and the third an applied sea horse.’
- ‘These outlines coincided with the part of the brain known as the hippocampus, from the Greek word for sea horse.’
- ‘A report by the World Wildlife Fund indicates that populations of the sea horse in the Indo-Pacific are being heavily exploited for the Asian traditional medicine market.’
- ‘At about five-eighths of an inch long, it's smaller than a dime - the tiniest sea horse species in the world.’
- ‘And last summer the first sea horse was recorded in the Thames estuary in 30 years.’
2A mythical creature with a horse's head and fish's tail.
- ‘The gods were frequently portrayed as riding the mythical Hippocampus, a magical sea horse first recognized by anthropologists in early Etruscan wall-paintings.’
- ‘Neptune is also able to heal the injuries of living beings and transform beings into other shapes and forms (such as when he transformed a white stallion into a sea horse).’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.